If you are interested in hosting this traveling exhibition, please contact Mara Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Arts and Dementia
A monthly social program at Minnetonka Community Center creates a community for people who have dementia, and their caregivers. The program is a partnership between Hennepin County librarians, artists from the Minnetonka Center for the Arts and senior services specialists from the City of Minnetonka.
The program, which launched in December 2017, is part of the City of Minnetonka’s work to earn designation through the national Dementia Friendly Communities campaign. Other Hennepin County libraries have hosted events for people with dementia and their families; this one is unique because of its structure, and the depth and breadth of the partnership that makes it possible.
Presented in partnership with the Minnetonka Center for the Arts through a grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board.
Artist Spotlight: Community Outreach Artist-Instructor Michèle Coppin
Minnetonka Center for the Arts Offers Special Programming for People Living with Dementia (Lake Minnetonka Magazine)
Minnesota: A dementia friendly state of mind (KARE11 5:01)
MCFTA and City of Minnetonka Dementia Friendly City Initiative Partnership Programs are made possible by the voters of Minnesota through a Minnesota State Arts Board Arts Access grant, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts and cultural heritage fund.
Sharing Creative Moments: Arts and Dementia (Ridgedale Library) (register online)
Dementia and You with the City of Minnetonka (Ridgedale Library) (learn more online)
Dementia Friends Training (Hennepin County Library) (register online)
Memory Cafe (City of Minnetonka) (register online)
Looking for resources?
These local organizations serve Minnesotans with dementia and their caregivers:
Alzheimer’s Association Minnesota/North Dakota 24/7 Helpline serves individuals with memory loss, caregivers, health professionals, and the general public. Their helpline provides referrals to local community programs and services
1-800-272-3900 | www.alz.org/mnnd
Senior LinkAge Line connects people with resources in their community
1-800-333-2433 | www.MinnesotaHelp.info
Other websites about dementia:
- Dementia Advocacy and Support Network International
- Online support for people with dementia
- Opening Doors
- The national StoryCorps project, including the Memory Loss Initiative
Articles about this program and exhibit:
- Sun Sailor (Jason Jenkins) 7/24/19 article abou the exhibition
- KARE 11, Minnesota: A Dementia Friendly State of Mind
- Lake Minnetonka Magazine, Minnetonka Art Center Offers Special Programming for People Living With Dementia
- Lakeshore Weekly News, Minnetonka's Memory Cafe Benefits Seniors With Dementia
More about the arts and aging
- Artful Aging™ - Creativity gives us purpose. Purpose is what keeps us alive (Compas.org)
- Changing "the tragedy narrative": Why a growing camp is promoting a more joyful approach to Alzheimer's (The Washington Post)
- NEA Releases Report on the Arts and Healthy Aging (NEA)
- Participating in the arts creates paths to healthy aging (National Institute on Aging)
- Why the Arts Are Key to Dementia Care (NextAvenue)